By Doula Deb
Fall is here! Makes me crave all that warm and wonderful comfort food. Rich mac and cheese, beef stew, cornbread, pot pie. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again…doulas LOVE to make soup. Soup can be a restorative, soothing, nutritious addition to your postpartum care. It is the traditional postpartum meal in many cultures.
Chicken Noodle is a classic! Perfect for a rainy day or a runny nose. Health in a bowl. What more can you ask for?
Here’s my favorite version…it’s delicious and easy.
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can vegetable broth
1/2 lb. cooked chopped chicken
1½ c. egg noodles
1 c. sliced carrots
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp tried oregano
salt and pepper or seasoning salt to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Cook onions and celery in butter until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Pour in all broths.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Bring contents to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes before serving.