By Doula Jen
I cooked up this simple dish for a new mama just last week. Her own mother was visiting for the day and I served them small bowls of it in bed as they looked over proofs of Baby Girl’s first family photo shoot. It melts my heart to even think of it now. THIS is what my job is all about. THIS is how postpartum recovery should be for EVERY mom—three generations of beautiful women cuddling in bed while a female caregiver brings fresh water and restorative root veggies. Doula moment, for sure. Yay for the woman-led village-like post-birth experience.
Peel and Slice:
- -2 large sweet potatoes
- -2 large beets
- -1 large white onion
- -Preheat oven to 385°.
- -Arrange veggies on a sturdy, rimmed baking sheet.
- -Drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil.
- -Season liberally with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- -Toss, in tray.
- -Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour, turning once or twice.
- -Remove and serve when potatoes are tender and everything is slightly browned and caramelized.
WONDERFUL, comforting fall/winter treat.