Both relaxing and energizing, yoga is a natural choice for mama exercise! We recommend a yoga practice for expectant and new mothers in particular because it inherently carves out a moment of “me time” in which to stretch, smile, cry, connect and relax.
The benefits of yoga are HUGE, both before and after Baby’s birth…
Benefits of Prenatal Yoga:
- Builds stamina for carrying, birthing and caring for baby.
- Provides balance in Mama’s otherwise shifting center of gravity and emotional focus.
- Relieves tension in the back, hips and shoulders brought about by extra weight.
- Slows Mama, allowing her to enjoy the experience of pregnancy and connection with her baby.
- Breathing exercises which will help during labor contractions.
Benefits of Postnatal Yoga:
- Rebuild core and pelvis strength — these muscles were stretched to the limit during pregnancy! Strengthening them will help mama avoid back pain, injury and incontinence.
- Strong arms for carrying Baby!
- Endorphins and dopamine produced during regular exercise can help ward off postpartum depression.
- Community found in a like-minded group of yoga mamas can help lessen feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Bonding with baby over Mom and Me yoga is wonderful and can pave the way for your growing child’s appreciation for yoga, exercise and meditation.